Thursday, July 5, 2012

Jute Covered Vase

How many times have you pinned a project on Pinterest and it just keeps calling you to make it? 
jute covered vase, pinterest inspired, cottage, cottage style, farmhouse, farmhouse style


 The project looked simple enough, and I thought I'd give it a try. Here's the photo I pinned:
jute covered vase, pinterest inspired, cottage, cottage style, farmhouse, farmhouse style
teachcraftlove.blogspot.com

All you need is some 4 ply jute string, an inexpensive glass vase and hot glue. You can find these glass vases at a thrift store for a buck or two.I found the jute string at Hobby Lobby.
jute covered vase, pinterest inspired, cottage, cottage style, farmhouse, farmhouse style

It took me a little more than an hour to glue the jute string on the vase. I only burned myself a few times, but no blisters : )  

I had a hot glue epiphany while doing the project, though...

I learned that it's better if the glue isn't super hot because if it's a little cool the glue is easier to manage and doesn't get all over the place. Plus, you don't get burned (as much)! I just unplugged the glue gun if the glue got too hot and then plugged it back in when the glue was difficult to squeeze out.

 Remember that for your next project and you'll save yourself a lot of trouble.

Here's my finished project.
jute covered vase, pinterest inspired, cottage, cottage style, farmhouse, farmhouse style



The jute wrapped vase goes great in a coastal themed room; here it is in our daughter's bookcases.

jute covered vase, pinterest inspired, cottage, cottage style, farmhouse, farmhouse style





jute covered vase, pinterest inspired, cottage, cottage style, farmhouse, farmhouse style

Pam


27 comments:

  1. I love the way that turned out Pam! I have so many vases like that sitting in a closet, think I'll be a copycat:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, it looks fabulous. You did a great job. I love it. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a splendid project Pam and even challenged me might could pull it off. It is beautiful in the bookcase.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really cute, Pam. I have done the tops of jars in jute but I just needed glue at the beginning and end. I have to try this!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really love this DIY! Great job.

    Silver from A Silver Snapshot
    http://starthinker-silverbarter.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ka-Ute! A double pinner ;) The party and my jute board!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great project, Pam! Inspires me! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this!! Just pinned it. I am going to make this for my mom, she will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pam, I love your version!!! My box was definitely pinterest inspired! Thanks for stopping by:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pam this turned out great,I might even try it,love it...you have been pinned saw you at Debbiedoos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw this on Pinterest, too, and ran out to buy the supplies. Now I just need to get my rear in gear and get it done! I am getting ready to start a mini makeover of my master bedroom and plan to use mine in there with some lavender hydrangeas. Hope mine turns out as well as yours did! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! I've seen these all over the place. I'm going to "Pin" yours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cute!! I love the coastal feel of it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks marvelous Pam! I have a hot glue gun with two temperature settings. That's a good idea though to cycle the glue gun! I always get burned when I use a glue gun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that vase....i received some flowers in a similar vase and always wanted to duplicate it....now you are inspiring me to do so!!...Looks wonderful!!....

    Pam, please contact me regarding an upcoming NC/SC/VA bloggers Meet and Greet!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. well.....that is a great job :)
    and do not miss.....

    S
    A
    T
    U
    R
    D
    A
    Y

    S
    H
    O
    W

    O
    F
    F

    it´s FUN :)
    WELCOME
    Håkan ( The Roseman)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE this project Pam! Really pretty project. Hope you enjoyed the pinning party, it has been great fun to see all the lovely projects and recipes linked up. I would say the first one was a success!!~ Thanks for joining in.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really CUTE! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it! I think it's a great way to put a beachy feel to any room!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very fun project! I did it with a large wine jug I picked up and added some braids to the exterior once I was finished wrapping.

    I have to know where you got the black cat bookend! Too cute!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks great! And hydrangeas were the perfect choice to put inside it.

    ~em @ small girl, big world

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this! I pass up these glass vases at thrift stores all the time...now I need to grab one and make it beautiful like yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Super cute! I learned the difference between a high temp and low temp glue gun the hard way - blistered fingers are no fun! Maybe try a low temp one - projects seem to go faster and there's much less burning. Just a thought :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and let me know you stopped by! If you are not on blogger, leave me your email or some other way of getting in touch with you in the comment. That way I can reply to your question or comment.