Saturday, December 4, 2010

Our Easy Christmas Morning Tradition


 One of my traditions is something that makes Christmas morning sooooooo easy.  
I serve a breakfast casserole on Christmas morning.
 Y'all know I don't like to cook and even though Mr. Fanatic used to be a chef, I actually make it! LOL!!! So, you know it has to be easy! I combine all six  ingredients the night before and put it in the refrigerator. When I get up on Christmas morning I pop it in the oven then call the kids down to open presents. By the time we are finished opening presents, breakfast is ready. YAY!!!

The casserole looks like this:
Christmas breakfast casserole, Christmas, breakfast casserole


I'm sure there are many of these recipes on the internet and you can add extra stuff to your liking, but here's the recipe I received several years ago from my youngest daughter's 5th grade teacher:

Breakfast Casserole

1 pound of your favorite breakfast sausage- fully cooked & cut into pieces
1 can of biscuits (flaky) - I used to use Pillsbury Grands, now I use Trader Joes( had to ask the teacher what a can of biscuits was-lol!)
6 eggs- (beaten)
2 cups of milk
1/2 to 1 tsp salt
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese

Grease casserole dish. ( I use a large deep Corningware dish with a lid) Lay  split in half biscuits in the bottom of the dish. Add cooked sausage pieces to top of biscuits. Add shredded cheese. 
Mix up beaten eggs, milk, salt in separate bowl, then pour egg mixture over biscuits sausage and cheese. (You can add other ingredients you like such as peppers or bacon, etc.)
Cover and set in refrigerator overnight.

Bake at 350 for approx 40-50 minutes. This will depend on the dish you use, so watch it after 40 minutes. I cook mine until the top us just starting to brown. Serves apx 6-8
That's it! Easy!


Hope you like it!
Pam

17 comments:

  1. This one sounds wonderful and sooo easy! I have a breakfast casserole that a friend of mine uses I've done before it's easy too but much more involved. I like the simplicity of this one. I am copying this for sure, thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds so good. I will definitely give this a try. It looks fabulous. Thanks Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam its 11pm here and I am feeling hungry, wants something hot and spicy to eat. mmmmmm and as I open your post.... my yummyyyyyy so what should I do know :(. it looks so yummy and rich ... try it soon...
    http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
    Love
    Farah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that looks so yummy and sounds so easy. Thanks for sharing...I can't wait to try it.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks wonderful and sounds so yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks fabulous Pam, thank you for sharing!
    XO
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, sounds good! I have a recipe for a Sausage Strata that reminds me of this. It is a good way feed everyone and not have to spend too much time in the kitchen (just yet)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I believe we will have this Christmas morning .Sounds easy and very good. I'll let you know how it turns out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good morning Pam. I was reading your comment on my post regarding the corn sak I made for my brother who has back pain. I immediately looked up a TENS unit. My brother is much better now, but my husband suffered a freak incident back in May while in Mexico, where he was given a shot for pain, and the shot was inadvertently given into a nerve. He suffered immediate, and excruciating pain. He has been in terrible pain now since. Under the care of several doctors. He is taking medicine for the nerve pain, and several other things as well. He went from being a a very active guy to unable to participate in the things he loves guy!!! He is suffering all the time from this pain, and they just don't know how long, or if it will get better. I am going to look into this. THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds so good, and I love that it's really easy to throw together!! Those recipes are the best kind!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm printing this recipe as i type. Yum. already following you. will you follow me back. i'm new to blog world. I love your photos.
    laura http://imnotatrophywife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi there_ i'm printing this recipe as I type. I'm already following you. I'd love the follow back. Love visitng your site. laura
    http://imnotatrophywife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made this, and spiced it up a little! Oh boy, it was yummy...I posted a blog about it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just mouthwatering...looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We make the same casserole for Christmas morning, but my recipe calls for using 6 pieces of loaf bread and also pepper. It's in the fridge waiting. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and let me know you stopped by! If you are not on blogger, leave me your email or some other way of getting in touch with you in the comment. That way I can reply to your question or comment.