Thursday, March 25, 2010

Sneak Peek ... My Daughter's Room

Thought I'd give you a sneak peek of my oldest daughter's room that I'm working on. Here's the reality of this room ... I had to be really careful not to get the piles of clothes, shoes & other stuff in the shots. It was VERY difficult!!! I have been really lucky to find a whole slew of things that go together that fit her style. I brought a bunch of decorative items homes & we sorted them out. She loved almost all of the items I brought home. Amazing, considering she is 17 (almost 18) and has a mind of her own.
I was a little concerned that she wanted purple for her walls considering that we are going to put our house on the market soon. I just didn't want to paint my girls room a really boring color and them having to live with that for a year or so if the house didn't sell. Would like your opinions about the color affecting resale, but please be gentle! I found the pillow at HomeGoods. This was the first item I brought home and was the inspiration for the entire room.




I found this wire dress form at Marshalls. She really loved it when I sent her a photo of it at the store.




Found the lamps at HomeGoods. the iron Dream  thingy at TJ Maxx & the silver placemat at Target.




This is soooo cool. It is a vinyl adhesive wall decal which I found at HomeGoods (of course!) Since we might be moving, we are going to paint a piece of MDF the wall color & adhere the decal to it. This way we can take it with us if our house sells. This will go over the bed.




My daughter loves birdcages. We found a decal of a birdcage, but decided to go with the birds & a real birdcage. I'm hoping to find something to put inside it. These items are sitting on an armoire that we found on craigslist. We will be outfitting it with a mirror so she can do her hair & makeup, and with a jewelry organizer.




You might recognize the basket. I have three in my laundry room. This one holds her magazines & is in her nightstand.




You might wonder what these are. I found them at HomeGoods & they are actually placemats/trivettes. The two silver ones were cream colored, but my daughter & I thought that they would look great silver & black. I painted them with Krylon chrome paint. We thought they might look good over the bed instead of a headboard, but we decided to put them as wall art over the dresser.
That's about all I have for now. I bought a few extra window panels from Target to make a bed skirt & a sham. We would also like to make a headboard, but that definitely will have to wait for now.
Let me know what you think,

Thanks for stopping by,

Pam


Oh, by the way, this is what it looked like before...warning to all of you who don't have messy teenagers:don't be shocked: it is a huge mess!!!... it is just easier to shut the door than to constantly nag her to pick it up!!!









21 comments:

  1. Pam, I like the direction you are taking with the room. The main thing is that she like it. Such creative ideas with those trivets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is going to be very cool and Chic! I can't wait to see the final result!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is beautiful and I don't think it will hurt your resale at all. We just sold our house in Michigan last year and I had a green kitchen, deep purple dining room, sherbet green kid's room, and yellow bath. The rest of the walls were a warm golden tone . Only one family mentioned the walls. They didn't even say anything, but they might have to paint. We sold in three months which is unheard of in this market in Michigan. Overall, everyone loved the home because it was decorated and they could see what to do with it. I think you are really safe and it looks so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a perfect room for a young woman. Very fashionable and grown up but still young and fresh.
    Thanks for stopping by and for your nice comment. I guess the saying that you can look in your closet to see what colours your home should wear is true for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's gorgeous! I agree that resale won't be a problem. I had a green MBR & MBA, a LSU gold office & a red bathroom. The house sold in 2 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the new bedroom. Your daughter will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love, love her room especially the dress form...that is sooooo cool! You did a great job! I agree about the mess...I figure I'll clean the rooms when they move out! I do hate walking by them and looking in though. Great pics...even with the messy room. I liked that color on the walls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't purple the new neutral? ;)
    This is beautiful!
    I really like the trivets, and would love to know where you found the wall decal. Our daughter just moved into an apartment and wants to add some pizazz.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Pam. Followed you here through a comment you left on my new blog, The Painted Hive. I love the colour pallete you've gone with for this space. It's chic and sophisticated though not stuffy. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so perfect!!! Love the style, the decor and the color!!

    Easter Egg Cup Collection is My show n tell Stop by if you can.


    Have a glorious weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful room...So lucky is she...:) Hi, Im Meme from Screaming Meme...it is nice to stop in again...I would love to have you over soon...i am fluffing my nest and have big plans...Hope to see you soon...and I will be back to see the rest of this lovely room...Nice job! Meme

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is gorgeous!!
    So true about closing the door and not nagging We need to choose our battles!!! Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow! she is going to have one great room! Maybe she will never leave! :)
    thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment about my messy garage! Hopefully when I get it clean this time, it will stay halfway neat.
    have a great weekend!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have 2 of those and their doors are always closed! My older daughter's room is plum/purple shade, but the younger one is the one who wants a room makeover. We have picked the color scheme, now the hunt begins! Great room, love all the details! Thanks for sharing and giving me ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a beautiful space! I would love to call it my room and I’m an adult. The wire from is a great find!

    Kendra “Domestic Princess in Training”

    ReplyDelete
  16. Came out so nice! My daughter has similar wall decals in her dorm room!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it!!! Our daughters are the same age. Mine will be 18 in December. She's my youngest though I'm doing my daughter room and I keep losing interest in it because she doesn't keep it clean!

    I think it looks great for selling your home and I love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great room! I love it and I am getting ready to make over my twin girls room!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. great decoration, love the lamp and model shape framework, very nice

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great job! You think a lot like me! I like the trivet accents, very smart! Typical room for a teen, I went through that not that long ago. Once they live on their own, you will find out that they did learn something from you and then you will be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so cute! I wish my bedroom was that cool as a teen! And I have the exact same birdcage!!

    http://temporary-nest.blogspot.com/2011/01/shattered-glass.html

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and let me know you stopped by! If you are not on blogger, leave me your email or some other way of getting in touch with you in the comment. That way I can reply to your question or comment.