Thursday, January 17, 2013

Chasing The Blues Away

So yesterday I wrote about our gray, drizzly skies and how sunless days make me melancholy.
I had to get do something to chase those blues away.
I wasn't going to let a little drizzle keep me in my pj's all day and keep me from getting out of the house.

So where did I go?

Shopping, of course.

But it wasn't to the mall or even HomeGoods. lol. We're only a little more than halfway through January and going to the mall or HomeGoods would blow my budget.

I went and bought myself some flowers at Trader Joe's... 
No I didn't blow my budget because they were only $4.99
For the whole bouquet you see here.
 Yup, gotta love Trader Joe's. That place always cheers me up, especially when I can buy myself a bunch of flowers for $4.99




Plus, we needed some milk and chicken and a whole bunch of other stuff...


Couldn't resist buying this pretty bottle of White Balsamic Vinegar for $2.29. It's pretty enough to sit on the counter. I also bought some Dukkah, which I haven't tried before. Evidently Dukkah is just a fancy name for herbs you put in some olive oil(and maybe some balsamic vinegar)and dip some crusty bread in it. 
Says so right on the back of the label.

I also stocked up on some Sipping Chocolate because they only carry it seasonally. I really love this stuff and put a 1/2 of a teaspoon in my whey protein shake in the morning. Bought enough to last me until next November when they start carrying it again. Wish I could do that with their seasonal homemade tamales.
mmm, tamales.

The week before last, Mr. Fanatic & I stopped by TJ's and while we were shopping, he noticed they carried french vanilla ice cream and that it was a FULL HALF GALLON. Remember when all ice cream containers were a full half gallon? Ice cream packages have gotten pretty small. TJ's french vanilla is really creamy, is only 24 carbs  per serving and isn't made with High Fructose Corn Syrup, which I'm trying to avoid. Ya know they put HFCS in just about everything. Just remember sugar IS NOT sugar.

Anyway, by the time I got home and put my flowers in some water, I had completely forgotten about my gray sky blues.
And I didn't even blow my budget!
Tomorrow I'm going to share a super easy and yummy recipe I made with the potatoes I bought at Trader Joe's.
Saw the recipe on Pinterest.
Hope you are having a sunny day...more rain here, but I have my flowers to cheer me up.  

Pam

PS: Thanks for all the comments on yesterday's post. They definitely were the icing on the cake.

BTW, Trader Joe's did  not compensate me in any way for this post. I'm just a Trader Joe's fanatic. lol. I really am. Before we had a TJ's here in Charlotte, we once planned a long weekend trip in a city where there was a Trader Joe's...and we would take an extra suitcase with us for TJ's stuff when we flew to SoCal. When we were in Chicago visiting Mr. F's mom, we would always bring a bunch of TJ's goodies back home with us.  Before you think I'm crazy...on the day that the local TJ's opened in August of 2006, there were about 150 people waiting in line for the store to open a couple of hours before and we were all swapping stories about how we all got our Trader Joe's "fix". We weren't the only ones planning vacations around visiting a TJ's.

11 comments:

  1. I love TJ's too. I wish it were closer though. We are suppose to get one closer. Love your flowers, what a deal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. $4.99 well spent! Don't you just love fresh flowers. I'm thinking that same cluster of flowers would look really pretty with the stems cut short and placed in a silver julep cup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your flowers and they will last for such a long time. Looks amazing. Great shopping too, you did good. Can't wait to see what you made. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so over all this rain. Now we have a chance of it changing over to ice later today. Still way too warm so far. I have got to make the 30 minute drive to the only Trader Joes around here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto for me with TJ's. We didn't have one near us up north but when I visited my Mother (once a month) I would stock up!. One of my favorite non-food items there is the tube of Mango Shaving Cream!
    Well, I'm headed out right now to Fresh Market (which is actually my #1 choice...) but may stop in at TJ. After all, we're supposed to get 2" of snow, and you know how people here go nuts before a "storm"!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some fresh flowers can always put a smile on your face. I hope all the blues will stay away from now on...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love trying new things and I always find something intriguing at Trader Joes. The flowers are gorgeous and I have to try the ice cream...we a lot that around here! I wish I had read your post earlier, I went past a TJ's this morning.

    Glad your blues are gone and I look forward to that recipe!

    XO,
    Jane

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beauitful flowers, I love the color.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are building a Trader Joe's in Baton Rouge & I can hardly wait! I've never been to one but it looks soooo awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great way to beat the winter blues! I think some fresh flowers would definitely perk me up. We have had thick fog hanging here in the valley day in and day out for over a week now and that has really affected me. I'm going to head to TJ's tomorrow for a simple pick-me-up! Thanks so much Pam! :-)
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm new to all this, but I really enjoy reading all the comments from ya'll. I have fibromyalgia and spend a lot of time in bed or on the couch. so reading all these posts gives my mind so many things to look forward to. Thanks again ladies

    Barbara P

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and let me know you stopped by! If you are not on blogger, leave me your email or some other way of getting in touch with you in the comment. That way I can reply to your question or comment.